Saturday, July 31, 2010

Chicken Corn Fritters

This is one of those things that I threw together when I just didn't know what to make.  A few days before grocery day, and I was limited.  The kids love when I make them corn cakes, since we don't eat nearly as many "bread type products" as we used to.  So I am always trying to think of ways to fill that void for them.  Now, this is a lot of corn products.  We as humans, like other living beings as well, just don't really digest corn.  So I don't advise meals like this for frequent eating.  When you chose corn products, whenever possible, chose organic and non-GMO.  Most of America's corn products are genetically modified.  Laboratory testing has shown these products to cause cancer and defects in lab animals.  You think?  Gosh, I hate how greed runs so much of the world.  Who cares that the growth hormones that they give our meat animals are causing early puberty and, in some theories, sexual dysfunction, in our children.  It makes more meat and milk, which equals more money!  Ugh.  Anyways, there are a handful of companies out there that carry non-gmo corn products.  Bob's Red Mill being one.  At least if we are eating something we aren't going to digest, we aren't going to be poisoning ourselves as well =o)  If you live near a Meijer, the Meijer Naturals products carry the label "no GMOs".  Meijer products are CHEAP compared to pricey name brands, and only cents cheaper than the non-naturals.  I recently got Meijer Naturals salsa $1 a jar.  I don't love canned salsa, but sometimes we go through so much salsa, it's just easier to grab some jars of it instead of making a ton. 
I made these BIG, like thick, oversized pancakes.  I will opt to make them smaller and serve as a side or appetizer next.  Of course the kids were all over them, I would just prefer them next to a big salad.  Like I said, I was limited.  I wanted to top these with some of my home made, thick n chunky guacamole, but I just had nothing for it.  So I made do with a quarter brick of velveta (left over from a party, I don't usually do a lot of processed cheeses) and a jar of that Meijer Naturals black bean and corn salsa heated and melted together.  Maybe next time some grated cheddar in them, and guac on top.  I think that would be divine. 
Chicken Corn Fritters
This makes a ton, so unless you are feeding my family, or the football team, cut it in half.

2 cups corn flour
1 1/2 c corn meal
5 tsp baking powder
4 c milk
4 eggs
1 tbs sea salt
1 tsp coarse ground pepper
1 can sweet corn
1 can diced green chiles
1 bunch green onions, chopped

3 lb bag of chicken tenderloins, cooked, shredded, and seasoned with:
cumin, salt, pepper, and garlic to taste

oil for frying

Topping:
1/4 big brick of Velveta
1 jar salsa
(I will post my guacamole recipe at a later date, which would taste much better on here, you could also top with sour cream)

Cook chicken in pan, shred, and add seasoning.  While it's cooking, combine the next group of ingredients in a bowl, dry first, then add the wet, then chunky.  Add chicken, mix, and drop spoonfuls into preheated oil.  Flip when deep golden on bottom.  Serve with topping on it, or on the side and dip it.

No comments:

Post a Comment