Saturday, July 24, 2010

Pasta tips and Pizza Pasta

I haven't been a big fan of pasta since I was a little girl and would eat plates full of spaghetti.  Maybe it's because I never felt well after eating it because of the gluten, and subconsciously put together that pasta means a sore tummy.  At any rate, my kids love pasta, and when gluten went, that was one food they mourned.  Living in nowhere land and being new to gf dining, I had no idea of the large variety of gf pastas; corn, quinoa, white rice, brown rice, etc.  They significantly range in price as well.  Walmart in Jacksonville carries Ancient Harvest Organic Quinoa (keen-wa) pasta.  This is my fav, and its SO affordable.  Not to mention, quinoa is the most nutritious of all grains.  Unfortunately, there are no stores around me that carry it.  I have had corn pasta from Meijer, which, when on sale, is a decent price, and tonight we had Tinkyada brown rice pasta elbows.  I always use elbows or twists because, no matter what kind it is, the spaghetti always sticks together terribly.  There may be a kind out there that doesn't, and if there is, let me know, but I have tried several kinds and they all are awful that way.  Now that we are acquainted with all the pastas we could ask for, I can now make my favorite recipes again, like grilled chicken alfredo and pizza pasta.  The kids LOVE pizza pasta and could probably eat it a couple of nights a week if I would make it.  With this recipe,  I substitute the traditional pork sausage and pepperoni for the turkey variety. Turkey products have come a long way, and I find them just as delicious, if not more, than pork, not to mention a ton healthier and more lean.
I like this recipe because it's easy.  Since becoming gf, we rarely have "convenience meals".  Almost every meal is a big preparation, which is ok, because I love cooking, but with the kids involved in sports and other extra curricular activities, sometimes you need something quick and easy.

Pizza Pasta (I double this for my big crew)
1 16 oz package gf pasta elbows or twists
2 jars of pizza sauce, or make your own, I go back and forth depending on how much time I have.
1 package of turkey pepperoni (Hormel makes this, I am not sure of other brands)
1 package Jennie-O turkey sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
Any other pizza toppings you would put on a pizza
8oz mozzarella cheese

Boil pasta in large pot.  While that's cooking, brown your Italian sausage in a large skillet.  When that's done, add your pepperoni, sauce, and whatever other "toppings" you want.  Drain pasta and add sauce to it.  Mix well and dish into bowls.  Top with mozz cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment