Friday, July 23, 2010

Zucchini Bites

I am thinking I am going to have quite a few new zucchini recipes this summer.  My overwhelmingly abundant supply of zucchini in my garden is going to stretch my creativity.  I honestly don't know why I plant so much of it, I always have too much.  None of use are overly crazy about this bland veggie/fruit.  Well, I take that back, my hubby likes it sauteed with summer squash.  I can only take so much of it though, just too blah.  I like fried zucchini, but it's always so mushy in the middle, and the breading seems to slide off.  Plus, for my one picky eater in the family, it just resembles a veggie too much.  So, I give you zucchini bites, my solution to soggy, floppy fried zucchini.


I use the cheese grater to shred a medium zucchini into a collander. I know "medium" is subjective, but I consider medium about twice the size of a cucumber maybe? It ends up being 2-3 cups I would say.  Sprinkle a tbs of sea salt on the shredded zucchini and let it sit in the sink for 5-10 minutes.  This will remove some of the water from it so it makes for a less soggy result.  Squeeze out any excess water.
 In a bowl, combine shredded zucchini and:
3 eggs
1/2-3/4c rice flour
1/2 c corn flake crumbs
salt and pepper
garlic to taste
chopped green onions optional
1/4 c milk
1/2 tsp baking powder
optional: 1/4 c parmesan cheese

Mix together and drop by the tablespoon full into about 1/2 inch of hot oil in a pan. Fry till dark golden brown on both sides

No comments:

Post a Comment