Monday, July 19, 2010

Dining out: Part 1

I think one of the worst things I have found about giving up the gluten is finding any place to eat while out and about.  I am going to post suggestions as I encounter them.  I've compiled a small list for now. 
One thing to ALWAYS remember is to inform the person taking your order that you cannot have gluten.  If you order a burger without a bun, they could just open up a sandwich and dump it off there.  Something I have found is that many people are completely oblivious to what gluten even IS, so you will have to explain.  One thing I have found when going through a drive through, is that it's easier to just say "I'm allergic to wheat".  This generally makes them be a little more cautious when handling your food. 

Qdoba:  MY FAV.  I always get the Naked Chicken Queso Burrito with chips.  According to their allergen info, they cannot guarantee that the chips are gf because of cross contamination, but I have never had a problem with them.  If you are overly concerned, you can get soft white corn tortilla, or just eat your naked burrito like a salad.  Almost all of their menu items are safe, aside from the obvious things like flour tortillas.  A few hidden no-no's are the fat free ranch, fat free picante ranch, taco salad shell, and ancho chili bbq sauce.  Their allergen info can be found at http://www.qdoba.com/Allergen.aspx 

McDonalds: Pretty boring, but burgers without buns, french fries, yogurt parfaits (no granola they say), and grilled chicken salads are about it.  I like to get the Angus 1/3 pounder value meal, no bun or mustard (no likey yellow mustard), with a nonfat mocha.  I don't go there often!  Shakes and ice creams are ok too.  Breakfast choices are limited.  Big breakfast with no biscuit, hash browns, eggs, any breakfast meat.  They need a breakfast bowl, in my opinion.  Potatoes, eggs, and that steak they put on the steak bagel sandwich.  That's what I'm talking about!

Burger King:  The only things I know that are gf are their tendergrill chicken salads and fries.  Not sure about anything else.  I rarely go there.

Cheesecake Factory:  This place was SO accommodating, and friendly as well.  I told them about my "issue", and they were very quick to offer a menu to me.  Basically you can get any of the burgers "protein style", which means they wrap it in leaf lettuce and then a cute little foil packet to make it easier to pick up and eat.  Of course they don't "guarantee" that any of their items are 100% GF since they are prepared in a kitchen in which gluten is everywhere, they were very helpful and careful.

Outback Steakhouse:  Another great choice for GF diners. Let them know ahead of time, and they are very helpful.  They have a gf menu, which makes things VERY easy for ordering.  I highly recommend their Chocolate Thunder From Down Under.  Flourless brownie with ice cream and hot fudge.  HOWEVER, I have the recipe for it, and will be posting it soon so you don't have to go out to get it.  It's just so nice to be able to go out to a restaurant and have a big, chocolately dessert and not have to worry about gluten.

Wendys:  I generally stick with burgers with no buns and fries (be careful here, I don't know that they have separate fryers for their fries, and without fail, I usually get sick to my stomach after their fries), chili and baked potato,or grilled chicken cobb salad. 

Jimmy Johns:  OMgosh, the #12 Beach Club is the best thing on the menu!  I get it as a lettuce wrap (Unwich).  In fact, they delivered to me in the hospital while I was laboring because I was craving one.  Turkey, provolone cheese, avacado, alfalfa sprouts, cucumber, tomato, mayo, YUM.  You can get any of their sandwiches as an Unwich.  They say their cheese is not gluten free.  This confuses me, and I would like to know how cheese contains gluten.  The beef contains gluten as well, which I can understand, since it's used as a filler in processed meat frequently.  Ask them to change gloves before making your food, and opt for mayo packets because bread crumbs might be in the mayo.  IMO, Subway needs to get a lettuce wrap option. 

Taco Bell:  Oh this one's a bummer.  Their ground beef contains gluten.  This is the options you have via the Taco Bell site:
 -Tostada (no ground beef though)
 - Chicken Fiesta Taco Salad (order without the shell and without the Red Strips)
 - Chicken Express Taco Salad (order Chicken instead of Beef)
 - Zesty Chicken Border Bowl (order without the Zesty Dressing and without the Red Strips)
I have, however, ordered several different tacos, like the shrimp taco, and steak tacos, on a crunchy shell instead of flour.  I'm also ok with their nachos.  I would like to see Taco Bell get soft corn tortillas.   

More restaurants to come.  If you have a suggestion, I will do my research and get it posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment